Saturday, June 5, 2010

wk 1 Response - Charles Mills

Original Post by Charles Mills:


I don’t read much at all.  Though I enjoy reading, my life is so busy I find it difficult to find the time.  Over the years I have read very few books with the exception of the bible.  Many of my friends can’t understand this because their perception of the bible is that it is a book of rules, of do’s and don’ts, of penalties and judgment (hell, fire and brimstone), and weeping and gnashing of teeth (as one professor recently alluded to in a Wimba session).  These things are not what stand out to me. I see hope, redemption, forgiveness, compassion, love, and the fact that though I could never “measure up”, I am an “A”. 

Life on the other hand can cause me to lose faith when I lose sight of the right perspective.  I refer to not only spiritual faith, but faith in others…like faith in my students! When I consider my teaching career, with all its ups and downs, I can clearly see how I have allowed myself to be boxed in and consequently, have drawn boxes for my students to operate within.  It reminds me of an auto commercial that came out several years ago of a young driver being instructed to “stay between the lines”.  When the “lines” ran into a roadblock (traffic), the driver turned and went off road…and did just fine!  I rationalize drawing boxes for the purpose of “safety”, careful to protect my students and me.  Most of it is because of a few minor mistakes made when some “liberties” were taken with video projects.  Reflecting on the reading and considering my classes, I see that I have become judgmental and am limiting possibilities for my students.  Time to step outside some of the lines I have drawn and open my eyes to a world of possibilities for my students.




Response by Rebecca Day:

Chuck,

I, too, have allowed myself to be "boxed in" within my career.  I, too, have drawn boxes for my students.  And I think the reason I do this is because if I don't have my students and myself "boxed in", we are all considered "out of line" and thus in trouble with the administrators who created the box.

Unfortunately, the No Child Left Behind Act and subsequent education guidelines that have been completely rewritten by the individual states have all but erased creativity from our curriculum.  There's just not much room for it anymore.  Therefore, our students don't know how to think outside the box.

1 comment:

  1. My second year teaching was done at a charter school in Arizona. The administration adopted Susan Kavolik's method of integrated thematic instruction. It takes M.I. theory into account and allows for more creativity. They teach the six traits of writing program and a lot of it is project-based. I didn't get renewed after that year, I just want to teach high school spanish, and my procrastinary style didn't fit in there. But it's actually a great way to teach and learn. My wife took over my 6th grade classroom and thrived in it.

    ReplyDelete