Saturday, June 19, 2010

wk3 response - Aimee Holcombe

Original post by Aimee Holcombe:



When I think about Zander’s remarks on the importance of “will” instead of “should,” I think of ownership. A key phrase that I start my class off with and carry through out the course is: “Own It.” I have it posted on the wall and I say it as many times as necessary to get the point across. Own your paper by making sure that your S.A.N.D. information is clearly on it (student name, assignment, name of class, and date). Own your grade by working hard for it at all times and making it what you truly want to have. Own your words and behavior choices by admitting your faults and doing your part to be responsible for yourself and your actions, and make better what you have made a mistake with (by apologizing, cleaning up...etc.).  Own your classroom by not vandalizing property and by treating the room as if it were your own. Just Own It! (One of these days I am going to get a rapper to turn it into a song to the tune of Michael Jackson’s “Beat it!” If interested, have your people talk to my people. I would do it myself, but after my Bill of Rights rap, I have been asked by my students, family, and friends to not recreate the moment... or ever perform karaoke.)

Reflections from Prompts in Particular:

Chapter 7. The Way Things Are: Sometimes settling for the way things are is a lowering of expectations, sometimes it’s finding a starting point so that one can make things better. Where are you in this continuum?

I have finally made it to the starting point stage!!! For several years I have been trying to figure out what is wrong and why it isn’t working out like I have planned. I have sought out teaching books, lectures on EDTV, advice from colleagues, and even surveying my students... but none has proven effective in getting me beyond self recognition until now. Now, instead of trying to figure it all out up front, I am looking at what I do know needs change and simply starting a new practice in that area! For the first time, I am starting my year not with a long unattainable to impove/ modify list, but instead to a short task-oriented to do list! I feel empowered and know that it will make a difference. I may not know the end result or if everything will work, but I am going to start at the small things and just do them instead of worrying about or trying to perfect them first.

Chapter 8. Giving Way to Passion: Control says that the only way to avoid disappointment and frustration is to not care at all. No hits, no runs, but most importantly, no errors. What are you doing in your daily life that expresses your passion or the things you are passionate about?

I am trying to -NO- committing to think less, and do more. I have a tendency to seek only a perfect product, but in the midst I find myself creating more stress on me and the people around me. I am learning more and more that simple is more. As an example: Daily, as in right now on my summer break from teaching, I have committed to doing some form of heart-pumping or muscle toning exercise every single day. I wanted to commit to perfect eating, a strict and balanced exercise schedule, a gym membership with a personal trainer, and a weight loss goal with deadline! Realizing that I always ‘commit’ to that and never achieve any of it, I decided to go easier on myself. In turn I feel better and much more confident! Sure, I still have my smaller-size motivation dress to wear for graduation, but I might just have to be OK with wearing a girdle with it too! Afterall, I am passionate about being healthy and having endurance for the long run of the rest of my life, not simply an event that will pass!

Chapter 9. Lighting a Spark. It’s not about us. It’s about them. What are you doing to pay-forward from your universe of possibility?

I am always reminded of the common phrase my grandmother still quotes to me, “they don’t care how much you know, till they know how much you care!” I would like to say that I am truly paying it forward in my classroom, but currently I have been focusing more on my family... which was (and always is a great need). (I believe that the zealous teachers such as myself often need to focus on family more... often times it is all about the lessons and the tasks ahead, and not about the people in their own home.) Therefore, I have decided to embrace the time that I have with my family and share it with others. In my film class, I interviewed my grandmother. Since that time, and prior, I have come to truly understand that they do not have much time left on this earth and also- just how wonderfully blessed I have been to grow to 30 years and beyond with both sets of my grandparents married over 60 years and living close by. My step mother passed so much wisdom to me before she died of cancer in 2000, but I never captured any of it beyond my memory. With my love for film production and desire to capture my grandparent’s timely treasures, I have been using every opportunity to get them on film and audio. I have already made 2 videos as a part of my courses here, and I will be making several more after graduation. I am creating them to capture a legacy, and to give it to my friends and family to come.


Here are those created thus far if you are interested:

http://www.facebook.com/Aimee.Fullsail?v=app_2392950137#!/video/video.php?v=109718335704959 


http://www.facebook.com/Aimee.Fullsail?v=app_2392950137#!/video/video.php?v=137156072961185




Response by Rebecca Day:

Aimee,

I love your idea of "Own It"!  It's an idea that I have had for many years, and for some reason have never employed it in my own classroom.  I'm the kind of person who finds inspirational quotes; copies and pastes them into a banner; prints and laminates the banner; and hangs the banner in my classroom to hopefully inspire my students.  But I have never done this with "Own It".  Thank you for the inspiration!

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment