Saturday, June 19, 2010

Wk 3 reading - Learning from Our Mistakes

Mistakes can be like ice.  If we resist them, we may keep on slipping into a posture of defeat.  If we include mistakes in our definition of performance, we are likely to glide through them and appreciate the beauty of the longer run.
--Rosamund Zander, The Art of Possibility

My husband watches Mythbusters.  A lot.  One night this past week, I left my computer and came into the living room to watch TV with him, and Mythbusters' top 20 best episodes was on.  A recurring theme that all the cast members spoke of was mistakes, how they learned from those mistakes, and how they adjusted their experiments as a result.

Much of my Action Research Project has been a study of mistakes, specifically how many mistakes I made that my data and results turned out so badly.  I don't think that my AR project has turned out that well, especially compared to some of my classmates' projects, and I keep wishing that I could go back and redo some things so my project will be as good as others'.

The questions that go through my mind:
Did I not choose a topic soon enough?  Did I start my cycles too late?  Should I have chosen a different topic?  Should I have tried one more time to get permission to send out that email with the link to my survey?  Should I have tried harder to get those interviews?  Would the interviews have added relevant information to my data? 

Unfortunately, the past year hasn't been an experiment, and I can't go back in time, but if I had it all over to do again, I would fix some of the mistakes I made and hope for a better AR project.  All I can do now is use the data that I do have and create the best possible project.

3 comments:

  1. Becky,

    I watched that Mythbusters with my younger brother and we came away with the same message. In my classroom I have a poster, as many teachers do, that says "If I find 10,000 ways something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward," which is a quote of Edison. I tell my kids to triple their failure rate (I got this idea here). Being so entrenched in a world where failure is the worst possible thing they can do, that an 'F' is dire circumstances, they think that I am telling them to stop trying. Then I point to the poster and explain that failure is something you do when you try and fail, not something that happens when you stop trying.

    The cool thing about AR is that you can do it again and again. You did not fail, you just found a way not to do what you set out to achieve. Cheesy as it is, "If at first you don't succeed..."

    Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  2. My AR has been a struggle too. Even though our projects might not be the best, we have still learned from them. I thought about this a lot while reading the "should" chapter. It really set in with me that I just have to move on and learn from my AR issues and general life mistakes. It isn't about what I could have done differently, but how I will do it better in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wk 3 Comment @ Rebecca Day
    Let me start off by saying nice touch with the quote. I can remember numerous times whereby I have learned from my mistakes and I’m thankful for making those mistakes. One being my first year teaching, I had lived down the shore for the summer and felt like I was the richest man on the planet spending more than I could afford. Since it was so drastic, I learned to put aside some money to have fun with, while increasing my savings each year. Had I not made the drastic mistake(s) the first year, who knows if I would have truly learned what I’m so thankful for today.

    I can relate to wanting to improve on things throughout this program. Nevertheless, I have been dedicated to it throughout the year while teaching 4 different preps and coaching 3 seasons of sports back to back. I finally had to take a Leave of Absence after month 10, yet I feel it was necessary. I’m glad I did that and look forward to improving my skills from here on.

    ReplyDelete